PennState College of Agricultural Sciences

PennState College of Agricultural Sciences

Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Student Introductions: Karly Regan, Entomology Ph.D. Student

When I first heard about AEE 530, I thought it was exactly the type of course I’d always wanted to take. It combined skills I expect to need (teaching) with a subject I’ve fallen in love with over the years (agriculture). In just a few short weeks, I’ve already learned more than I have in entire semesters of other courses. I look forward to continuing to learn alongside a community of diverse and intelligent future educators!

I am in my second semester of a PhD program in the Department of Entomology at Penn State studying how different farming practices affect the diversity of arthropod predators and their ability to hunt prey. I grew up in Massachusetts, received my B.S. in Biology at the University of Massachusetts, and my M.S. in Plant Science at South Dakota State University. I thoroughly enjoy working in agroecosystems and plan to incorporate as much education and extension into my future career as possible. Although I enjoy scientific research, my favorite part of science is definitely having the opportunity to share it with others, whether college students, children, or farmers.

I am optimistic that I’ll gain valuable skills in how students learn and how best to deliver information that will enhance their learning though AEE 530. I am particularly excited to get the hang of blogging and other forms of technology, since I don’t consider myself very tech-savvy yet.


Outside of work, I enjoy cooking, hiking, and listening to country music. 

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing Karly.

    The real question is: what type of country music?

    I am hoping you are enjoying:
    - the Outlaws (Waylon, Willie, and Merle)
    - Pat Green
    - Robert Earl Keen
    - Simpson Sturgill
    - Hayes Carll

    and much much more red dirt/Texas Country! :)

    (oh..and Bob Wills is still the King!)

    ReplyDelete