PennState College of Agricultural Sciences

PennState College of Agricultural Sciences

Sunday, January 20, 2019

Student Introduction: Katie Hirl, PhD candidate in Agricultural and Biological Engineering


Good day all, 

I am a Midwest girl drawn out east to attempt a PhD in agricultural and biological engineering with the goal of teaching engineering. Originally raised in Minnesota, I fell in love with chemistry at a young age and later became acquainted with bioenergy systems from my Father who works in the field.  Upon graduation from high school, I decided to pursue engineering to work in the bioenergy industry. 

I spent my studies in rural Atchison, Kansas at Benedictine College working towards degrees in chemistry and chemical engineering. Two months in to my first semester I was asked to tutor a fellow engineer in chemistry. From that one request, I became a fixed engineering tutor for the rest of my studies and loved every minute of it….. even the ones spent helping my peers understand distillation columns at 1:00 am.

Engineering is a beautiful field because it takes the elegant complex workings of the natural world and applies them to solve problems. By my final semester last spring, I had found that helping someone else understand the beauty I had spent four years studying was even better than engineering work itself. 

Thus, I arrived at Penn State to take the next steps towards becoming a professor and switched to ag and bio engineering to spend my research time on a system called anaerobic digestion (my favorite renewable energy technology). I am taking AEE 530 to start gathering up and practice skills I will need to effectively facilitate learning. 

I look forward to working with all of you as we go through the semester to become better teachers in our varied disciplines.

No comments:

Post a Comment