PennState College of Agricultural Sciences

PennState College of Agricultural Sciences

Monday, January 22, 2018

Student Introductions: Susanna Räisänen, PhD candidate, Animal Science

My path to Penn State started in a small rural town in Northern Finland, with nightless nights during the summers and dayless days during the winter. Already at an early age I fell in love with animals, and knew that one day I wanted to work with them (= be a vet). After 12 years in school I was finally able to apply for vet school. However, I didn't get good enough score on the entrance exam. I spent a year working and applied again, this time also in Sweden. It was a no again from both vet schools.

But life has it's curious ways. I got a call from the Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences (SLU) asking if I wanted to come and study Animal Science instead. I'd never heard of a program like that before but the program description sounded intriguing. A year there wouldn't hurt before applying to vet school again, I thought.

So my path continued on to Uppsala, Sweden. By the end of the first year I had already decided to go through with the program. As an Animal Scientist I'd have a wider perspective and more opportunities to influence animal production systems: how to improve current systems. But also to be part of the discussion on how to ensure a sustainable food production in a changing world.

During my first three years at SLU I completed my B.S in Animal Science and went to Kenya for two months to watch grazing cattle and to spot the big five. I stayed two more years in Uppsala to do my M.S as well. During the program I spent one semester at Massey University in New Zealand, where I encountered countless sheep and cows, and the most amazing scenery.

Already during my B.S. I knew I'd like to do a PhD at one point. I didn't really have a preference as to where I wanted to do it though. So after completing M.S., I picked a few names from my master's thesis reference list and send some emails. Only two weeks later I was working on the (countless) paperwork needed for the Graduate School application at Penn State.

And here I'm now, a second year PhD candidate in Animal Science, having a blast so far. I love my work and research and my cows that I get to hang out with. My research focuses mainly on protein and amino acids in dairy cow nutrition, more specifically I'm trying to figure out the histidine requirements of lactating dairy cows.

My hope is that the path I'm on will one day come to a point where I'm a professor in Animal Science. Teaching and learning has always fascinated me. I mean, here I am on my 20th year in school, still eager to learn. My hope is to keep learning but also learn how to teach what I've learned. That's why I steered my path by this class. I want to get some tools for conveying the tiny bit of knowledge and understanding I've accumulated of the world around us. I can't wait to see what this  class, and the rest of my path, will bring on my way!

No comments:

Post a Comment