PennState College of Agricultural Sciences

PennState College of Agricultural Sciences

Thursday, January 18, 2018

Student Introductions: Shelley Whitehead, Entomology PhD Candidate

If you'd told me seven years ago that I’d be working toward a doctorate in entomology, I would have told you that you’re out of your mind...'cause I hate bugs.  In fact during my senior year of college, we had a new biology faculty hire, who had just completed his PhD in entomology, and I can remember his description of a lab practical that involved distinguishing between two different species of flies by counting pubic hairs.  I thought, “Who in their right mind would study that?”

Apparently, I study that.  After graduating with a BS in biology and a BA in English from Presbyterian College in Clinton, SC (Go Blue Hose!), I moved to New Orleans, LA to attend Tulane University School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine, studying toward a masters degree in public health.  Equipped with a passion for studying tropical diseases, I decided to take a medical entomology course. As someone who has been obsessed with viruses, parasites, and worms, the opportunity to study these pathogens from the point of view of the insect vector seemed to make sense.  It was over.  I fell in love.  After graduating from Tulane, I decided to stay in New Orleans and worked in a medical entomology lab to conduct field work, which involved mosquito collections across Orleans parish.  It was disgusting, hot, and so incredibly fun.  My PI encouraged me to apply for entomology programs—so, here I am at Penn State. 

It’s wild how life works. 

I’m now a 7th semester PhD candidate in Dr. Matt Thomas’ lab (saying I’m a fourth year makes me feel old).  My research focuses on how environmental variation affects adult mosquito life history traits, and how these changes can influence the way we think about future malaria transmission.  I can gab for hours about this subject, so if you’re interested in talking about it more, you can find me here

Why am I in an education course?  Well, as you can see, my life plan didn’t originally include entomology, so who’s to say that my future won’t include some type of teaching?  Opportunities find us every day, and I think it’s best to prep your toolbox with all types of knowledge.  Plus, when else can you really exploit everything that a university has to offer, whether it be classes or collaboration, other than when you’re a grad student?  I choose to drink it all in. 

I’m a proud South Carolina native, and am the daughter and sister of educators.  If I don’t do well in this course, I’ll be ridiculed at every holiday gathering for the rest of my life.  I’m a lover of the Carolina Gamecocks, fried bologna sandwiches, and Elton John.  

2 comments:

  1. Hi Shelley! I am so excited that you are taking this course. It has been invaluable to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Blog Shelley! I look forward to working with you!

    ReplyDelete