PennState College of Agricultural Sciences

PennState College of Agricultural Sciences

Tuesday, April 23, 2019

Student introduction: Xiyu Yang, Ph.D. candidate in Horticulture

Hello everyone!

My name is Xiyu Yang, currently a second year PhD candidate in Plant Science. I work with Dr. Jonathan Lynch, focusing on identifying and probing the ideal crop root phenotypes.

I finished my undergraduate study in Plant Genetics and Breeding at China Agricultural University. I had been focusing on biology and chemistry since high school and the choice of studying biology in the university seemed like a natural choice. I applied for a few research intern and assistant positions during Summer breaks throughout my college years, and the idea of going to grad school started to formulate.

I applied to the master of science program in Plant Science at Penn State in 2015, and finished my master's with Dr. Lynch in 2017. Given the minimal opportunities in the job market as an international student, and driven by the idea of further study and research, I continued into the Ph.D. program.

I love the idea of teaching in college after my PhD, but realized I'm not at all knowledgeable in teaching. Taking this class has been a positive step towards that goal and studying the scholarship of teaching and learning (SoTL) has been incredibly helpful thus far!

No comments:

Post a Comment