PennState College of Agricultural Sciences

PennState College of Agricultural Sciences

Monday, March 19, 2018

How robots and artificial intelligence are taking over the classroom! (Professional Development Reflection - Isamar)

How robots and artificial intelligence are taking over the classroom

Past Saturday I arrived at the Penn Stater Conference Center expecting to develop my teaching skills through a series of presentations by experts in the field. I had not seen the agenda before arriving. Good thing I didn't have any idea on what to expect because the first talk by the keynote speaker discussed everything from turkeys, chickens and why washing your hands is important! I couldn't stop laughing but at the same time, it made me think about the reason behind every study and how to use data to teach and impact people. Also, it gave me a new podcast to listen to on my morning commute!

Some standard topics I thought would be included in a teaching and learning symposium would be making lesson plans, effective teaching and classroom management. To my surprise, the topics were full of tech-savvy teachers using innovative techniques in their classrooms to enhance the learning experience. Robots and artificial intelligence were a hot topic throughout the day. Two out of the three proposals in the open innovative challenge included these topics.


One particular proposal in the challenge that caught my attention was "Faulknerbot", a chatbot modeled after the writer William Faulkner. In this case Aaron Mauro, an English professor at PSU, developed a chatbot with the purpose of applying conversation based content discovery. Instead of going to the library or searching the web for Faulkner content, you can just chat with an online version of him! Imagine how fun and engaging this could be for students. The chatbot was programmed with not only Faulkner's written works but also many of his interviews. There was a suggestion from the audience to create a "Syllabus chatbot" that could answer questions regarding office hours, assignments and other syllabus topics quickly instead of having to e-mail the professor


Another interesting proposal from an Economics Professor, introduced the idea of using robots as learning devices for students. However, this was the second time during the symposium that the robot topic was introduced. One of the talks I attended was from Dr. Ronald Arkin from Georgia Tech. His research focuses on human-robot interacton and how this could help early stage parkinson patients. This technology could also be applied in the classroom for students with disabilities or even as an ethical mediator between graduate students and advisors. 

Needless to say, my day was full of surprises (in a great way!). My mind was exposed to innovative and out-of-the-box ideas on how to engage students in learning. As a Mechanical Engineer, I had never looked at robots or A.I. in the teaching and learning environment. Usually these technologies are introduced in engineering or computer science courses. However, now I can see how they could be applied to everyday teaching on all subjects. Robots or A.I. shouldn't be seen in any way as a replacement of the teacher but as a tool for the teacher. I wouldn't call this is a robot takeover, but a teaching and learning takeover!

Written by Isamar Amador a graduate student in Agricultural and Biological Engineering at Penn State

5 comments:

  1. Isamar,

    Thank you so much for sharing. I Love your "engineering" perspective on the presentations.

    Fascinating to think how we could take concepts (not platforms, that will quickly become dated) and apply to our future teaching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Isamar,

    I think the discussions on robots were a very interesting addition to the symposium. Just like you, I was surprised to hear that these tools are being used within classrooms. Like I stated in my own reflection, I was both fascinated and amazed with the level of technology that was presented! It was an eye-opening experience.

    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  3. As an English major, the possibility of having a conversation with Faulkner just brings me so much joy! Can't wait to pass this gem along to my college English advisor--he's gonna love it!

    It's really interesting to think about a robot acting as a mediator between a graduate student and his/her advisor. It's wild that we've come this far in technology advancement. Really hate I missed this symposium!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Faulkner bot is so cool! Technology in the classroom is a great way to engage students. We saw that last night in our class with kahoot. My English major friends are going to love this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've always thought robots as something that would take us humans further away from each other and from interacting and connecting with each other. But it looks like there are many applications of robots that would actually enhance and improve, fascinating!

    ReplyDelete